Thursday 15 September 2011

Fruit!

I realised that I have been a bit negative about most things here so far. This is definitely not how I feel, so I thought that I would write a bit about some good things today. Below you can see a picture of something that I really enjoy here; fruit! (Potential British readers might not enjoy fruit too much, but I do!)



In this picture you can see a papaya, pears, oranges, a passion fruit, bananas and two different kinds of mango. I didn’t even know that there were different kinds of mango… There is the bigger, partly red one in the middle of the picture (which is the more normal one). Then there is a smaller green kind as well, top right in the picture. I don’t know if it is the typical way, but they can be eaten in a funny way. Instead of peeling off the peel to eat the fruit, you leave the peel and squeeze the whole fruit for a little while. It becomes softer and softer as you’re squeezing out the juices. Then you cut a small whole through the peel, and drink the juice. It’s a bit different (and therefore more fun!) and also really tasty!

Here they also have at least five different kinds of bananas! I had no idea there were that many different kinds. They are:
Banana ouro (golden) – the smallest (about 4 cm) and very sweet.
Banana prata (silver) – the second smallest and less sweet than the golden
Banana caturra – the kind we get in Europe, but here they are bigger since they mature properly and are not collected while green.
Banana maca (apple) – similar to the caturra we eat in Europe
Banana terra (land) – not good to eat raw since it sticks to your teeth. It is absolutely delicious if slightly fried in butter. Sometimes this kind is added to rice.

The papayas are also absolutely delicious! They melt so nicely in the mouth.

As a summary; there are many different kinds of fruit here, and most are delicious! It doesn’t hurt that they are cheap as well…

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Nice fruit. I have a more important question though...How is the fika?

Johan said...

I'm afraid we don't have any fika tradition here. Maybe I should try and organise that. However, there are always nice desserts available for lunch. I will post a comment about our lunches soon. I don't want to give away too much, but they are somewhat better than what you get in Edinburgh (very surprising...)