Thursday 17 November 2011

Cachoeiras in Carrancas

We had a holiday in the beginning of this week to commemorate the proclamation of the Brazilian republic. I celebrated this by going out to the countryside to a place called Carrancas. The town is really small and there is not much to see in the centre. There are, however, a lot of beautiful cachoeiras around. Cachoeira is the Portuguese word for waterfall. I have included a lot of pictures below, but there was still a lot more to see.





















If water flows over stone for a long time, it can etch holes in the stone. Here a heart shaped hole had been formed.



I saw one of the biggest wild spiders I have ever seen. The spider in the picture below is the size of my whole hand!

In one place the water had been smoothing out the stone for a long time and thus created a natural slide. The slide was incredibly smooth and it was possible to pick up a quite high speed before splashing into a natural pool.

Here follows a few pictures of one of my favourite waterfalls in Carrancas. It is called Zilda's waterfall. It's not the biggest, highest or broadest fall, but it had a bit of everything. And while roads often had been made to the bigger waterfalls, you had to go through the forest for a while to reach this one. I found a small path that lead into the forest and decided to follow it without knowing where I would end up. After walking for a while in (relatively) boring nature, I ended up next to this waterfall. Along the way I found a little dog, which followed me to the waterfall. I never found its owner, but it disappeared while I was enjoying the waterfall and the pool below it.







Just as there was a storm coming in, we found a little pub in the middle of nowhere, so we decided to stay there for a while.





















Someone brought a guitar to the cachoeira and left it in a tree while he went for a little swim. I thought it looked really nice with the bag hanging in the tree over the flip flops and with the guitar high up in the tree.







No comments: