Thursday 22 March 2012

Supermarket

The other day, I went to a big supermarket. It was one of those where they mainly sell food, but also a bit of everything. I found a solar powered torch, which was fairly cheap, so I bought it. When I got home I noticed that the manual was in 11 different languages: French, Italian, Spanish, Greek, Turkish, German, Dutch, Bulgarian, Russian, Polish and Romanian. I was quite surprised when I noticed that there was no instructions in English. Not that I needed any manual, but I thought that all manuals would contain an English section. Then I noticed another surprising fact: there was no information in Portuguese! For an item sold in Brazil!

There is another funny thing you can buy in many of the supermarkets here:

One thing that is far from being funny is the queuing. If I would say that it is slow, I would give the cashiers a huge compliment. The queues don't move at all. It is very common that half of the customers in the shop are queuing! Last time I went to another big supermarket, I had to queue for 20 min. You might think that that is not too bad, but there were only three people in front of me! And they didn't have excessively many items.

This time I went to one of these queues that are supposed to be faster. There was only one queue to three separated cashiers, where you were only allowed to go if you were buying 20 or less items. Should be fast, right? I was the 12th person in the queue, for which there were three cashiers open, and it took 25 min! It's soo boring to just stand there when nothing is moving.

No comments: